Skip to content

Housing Disrepair Claims Solicitors

Living in a house that has fallen into disrepair can have a negative impact on your life. Your landlord has a legal duty to maintain the home that you live in and ensure that it does not become damaged or unlivable.

The conditions that you are living in can not only affect your health and well-being but also your relationships and ability to work.

Our housing disrepair team specialises in helping tenants make housing disrepair claims. If you are suffering in your own home due to disrepair, we can help put your mind at ease by advising on your next steps.

Call now

What Is Considered Housing Disrepair?

Housing disrepair can include severe mould that causes black spores to appear on walls or dampness which brings a terrible smell to a house. It can also be infestations of rodents or insects. Housing disrepair can extend to structural issues such as subsidence or cracking which can be hazardous and a safety issue. In addition, it could include constant leaks, a broken boiler or rotting.

If a house is not in a reasonable state of repair, meaning that it is not in a good condition both inside and outside, then it could cause you to suffer injuries or even illness.

If your landlord fails to fix broken appliances or does not properly maintain floors or fixtures, this can result in accidents happening such as cuts and bruises.

What Are The Responsibilities Of My Landlord?

Your landlord has a legal obligation to ensure that you have reasonable living standards. This includes fixing or repairing issues or replacing broken or inadequate items such as boilers, leaking drains or rotting windows.

If you have reported issues of disrepair, your landlord must respond to your concerns. When a landlord does not take action, this is when housing disrepair claims can be made against them.

How Do You Make A Claim For Housing Disrepair?

Before you can make a claim for housing disrepair, you must first show that the property that you live in has fallen into disrepair since you have been living there.

You must have told your landlord about the problems in writing through an email, text or letter. Make sure you keep a copy of this as you will need it to prove that you have notified your landlord.

Once you have asked your landlord to repair the issue in writing, you can give them 21 days to respond to you. If they do not respond, you can follow up with them again.

You should give them a reasonable amount of time to resolve the matter. Bare in mind that they may need to contact builders or plumbers depending on the problem which can take some time.

If the landlord does not respond, refuses to make repairs or does not complete the repairs within a reasonable period of time, then it may be that they are breaching their legal responsibilities. In this case, you may be able to make a housing disrepair claim.

We advise you to contact our housing disrepair team to see if you have grounds for a claim.

What Evidence Might You Need For Housing Disrepair Claims?

When it comes to housing disrepair claims, each case is different and the evidence required will vary. However, generally, the following evidence is likely to be required to build a strong claim:

  • Your tenancy agreement: To prove that you have a contractual relationship with your landlord. The tenancy will also outline details about disrepairs and the responsibilities both the landlord and tenant have in maintaining the property.
  • Copies of the communications or attempts to communicate with the landlord (these should be in writing).
  • Photographs of the property before and after the disrepair.
  • Medical reports from a medical professional with a diagnosis of illness or injury that has been caused by the disrepair.

How Much Is A Claim For Housing Disrepair Worth?

Compensation for housing disrepair claims is generally calculated based on the value of the rent. Usually, a percentage of the rent will be awarded which is worked out depending on the severity of the disrepair and the illness or injury suffered.

You may also be able to claim for household repairs if you have paid for the repair to be done. You should keep receipts for anything you have paid. Additionally, you may be able to claim for pain, suffering and medical costs.

Can I Claim Compensation For Damp Or Mould?

You may be able to make a claim against your landlord if you have suffered illness that has been caused by damp or mould in your home.

Mould and damp can be caused by leaking pipes, or rain seeping into the building through windows or through the roof. It can also be caused by rising damp from basements or excess moisture. If you notify your landlord of these issues and nothing is done to solve the problem, then they could be liable if you suffer any illness.

You’re more likely to develop respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma if you are exposed to damp or mould. They can also affect your immune system which means you may contract other illnesses easier such as colds or flu. In addition, exposure can affect your skin, especially if you already have problems such as eczema.

You will have to prove that your illness has been caused by the landlord’s failure or inaction.

We Can Help With Your Housing Disrepair Claims

At Mergul Law, we help tenants make housing disrepair claims both in London, and the rest of the UK. We believe that everyone should have reasonable standards of living so that they are comfortable and secure in where they live.

Our housing disrepair team are on hand to guide you through the claims process. We know that it can be daunting to make a claim against your landlord, but it is important that your home meets the standards you expect.

Contact Our Expert Housing Disrepair Team

If you have contacted your landlord about a housing disrepair issue and they have failed to do anything about it, we would like to help you.

Our housing disrepair team will advise you on whether you have a legitimate claim and what evidence you will need to gather to prove that your landlord has fallen below their expected obligations.

Contact our housing disrepair team today for more information on how we can assist you.

Call now
Back To Top